We believe Jesus has given us a clear indication of what is important to him. He summarized five core values in two scriptural statements.
In the Great Commandment (Matthew 22:37-40) and the Great Commission (Matthew 28:19-20), Jesus gave His marching orders to the church.
- Love the Lord God with all your heart. A love for God will show itself in WORSHIP. Love your neighbor as yourself.
- Love for others will show itself as we reach out to those in need and heal their hurts through MINISTRY.
- Go and make disciples. As we communicate God's love and forgiveness against the backdrop of our sin and rebellion, people will be drawn to Christ through EVANGELISM.
- Baptizing them. Identifying oneself as a part of the FELLOWSHIP of Christ is done through baptism. Being a part of the body of Christ is based on believing and belonging.
- Teaching them to obey. DISCIPLESHIP is the process of encouraging and educating believers in the elements of the faith. Each believer is encouraged to be led by the Holy Spirit through prayer and Bible Study.
AT FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF MAITLAND, EVERY MEMBER IS A MINISTER!